With the arrival of spring, you may have the urge to do a little spring cleaning.
If one of your desires is to make peace with food and your body, here are seven spring cleaning tips that will help you on your journey.
- Toss out your dieting books. Beyond books on popular diet programs, like Paleo, Keto and Whole30, this includes any books on clean eating, detoxing, cleansing, eliminating, fasting, etc.
- Unsubscribe from magazines and newsletters and delete bookmarks for websites and blogs that feature weight-loss and dieting articles and promote the thin ideal.
- Unfollow, unlike or hide any social media pages and feeds that focus on the thin ideal, thinspiration, fitspiration, weight loss, diet culture, before-and-after stories, etc.
- Throw away your scale. It’s time to stop playing the numbers game and letting a piece of junk dictate how you feel about and treat yourself. It's time to take back your power.
- Remove any calorie/gram/point-counting apps from your phone and other devices.
- Donate your clothes that don’t fit well or make you feel fabulous.
- Ditch any weight-loss supplements, pills, powders and potions.
While these actions can feel a little daunting and scary at first, when my clients follow through with even just a few of them, they feel liberated, empowered and energized far more than they ever imagined. I bet the same will be true for you, too.