A green smoothie is a yummy, easy way to consume a hearty dose of dark leafy greens and other nutrients.
For a balanced smoothie that will provide lasting energy and sharp mental focus and won't spike your blood sugar level, be sure to include a good dose of protein and fiber, a bit of healthy fat, and use minimal sugar, including sugar from fruit and fruit juice.
Experiment with different combinations of veggies and fruits (fresh or frozen), herbs, and liquids such as kale, spinach, collard greens, avocado, cucumber, berries, apples, lemon, lime, mint, parsley, and unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Include protein such as a high-quality protein powder, nut butter, plain kefir or plain Greek yogurt.
Toss in nutrient-rich boosters such as ground flax seeds, flax seed oil, chia seeds, hemp seeds, greens powder and/or spirulina.
Think fresh and be creative!
- 1 packed cup of dark leafy greens (if using kale or collards, remove stems and tough center stalk; if you're a kale newbie, start with a spinach/kale combo for a milder flavor)
- 1/2 banana or 1/4-1/2 avocado (avocado provides a creamy consistency with less sugar)
- 1/2 cup organic berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1-1 1/2 cups water or a combo of water and unsweetened coconut milk (start with less liquid and add more if you want a thinner consistency)*
- 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seed, chia seed or hemp seed
- 1-2 scoops high-quality protein powder
- Few ice cubes (optional, or skip if using frozen fruit)
*I recommend avoiding boxed coconut milk beverages as they contain numerous additives. Instead, go for organic coconut milk in a BPA-free can, such as Natural Value or Native Forest.
- Blend the greens with the liquid.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Add protein powder last blending just briefly.
- Add more liquid if needed.
Enjoy immediately for maximum flavor and nutritional benefit.