If you’re looking to quench your thirst in a healthy way and water’s just not sounding very enticing, try this simple, invigorating drink made with fresh ginger and no sugar. A real zinger, it's certain to perk you up on a hot summer’s day.
A powerful medicinal and culinary herb, ginger has been used for over 5,000 years as a natural remedy for numerous ailments. It can alleviate nausea, gas, heartburn, motion sickness, morning sickness, migraines and menstrual cramps. A disease fighter, ginger has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may help lower LDL cholesterol and prevent cancerous tumor growth.
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- Sparkling water
- Fresh lime
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger (I use a veggie peeler for peeling and slicing)
- Boil 2 cups of water
- Remove from heat and add ginger
- Steep for 20 minutes
- Strain the decoction to remove ginger
- Chill in the frig for up to one week
- When you’re ready to enjoy, mix 1 part ginger juice to 3 parts sparkling water (more or less depending upon how strong and tangy you like it). Add a squirt of fresh lime juice.
Modifications: Use lemon instead of lime. Add a few fresh mint leaves.
I like to keep a jar of this decoction on hand in my frig for whenever I need a refreshing pick-me-up.